Monday, December 6, 2010

Man on Wire


Have you seen the documentary Man on Wire? It is about a Frenchman who tightrope walked across the twin towers in New York. My friend said when he saw him on that wire he couldn’t stop crying. The man on the wire is walking. People are walking. Alone. Up steep hills, into a temple. Walking alone, silhouetted in darkness against a blue horizon, head down. All heads down. I hardly noticed the twin towers. There are so many buildings that block the view of the sky and the little rabbit is so sad that all the seeds are taken away and the smoke is taking over. In my dream I dreamed that the Nazis were coming and my father put on a suit and tie in readiness and I said no, no that is not the right thing to wear, come on we must run, get away. To talk to Pam that’s all I wish for now. To get past those stones that wait in the garden, as the little girl lies sick in bed waiting. The stones moving closer every time she looks out of the window. What do they want those stones? Why can’t I go with you? Oh, my spirit. With the man dressed in black with the red belt and the heavy bag as he goes into the temple. Maybe I could sing in the glow of that golden light? At the foot of the world trade centre? My sister has been killed like Joan of Arc and the burning meanders in my mind and it is like JD Salinger who wrote about a family like mine who’s brother dies and Franny gets a little book and wants to run into it and she can’t eat her sandwich. Seriously you couldn’t stop seeing him could you? If you had this would never have happened so precisely. My Joan of Arc. My little daisy, my buttercup. But you cared for him didn’t you? Like an octopus kiss and you were his little moon. Angels part the clouds and grant us deliverance.

This was written in Febuary 2009.

4 comments:

  1. sorry, I'm not with you here....confuzzled...:/

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh just me losing my mind in a poetic kind of way.. or trying.. and in deep grief.. thanks for your interest.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just watched man on wire. Cant stop playing the Gymnopedie sound track. I hope you're grieving is not so intense these days many years on. You write beautifully. Condolences for your lost.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just saw this post. Didn't know it was here til now. thanks so much for your words, whoever you are. Hope all is well with you.. :)

    ReplyDelete