Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Birds fell down from the sky

Why did 1,000 red-winged blackbirds die in the sky?  It takes me back to a time when I would go to a pond here in Santa Fe and watch them balancing on the reeds.  Bouncing to and fro and wobbling like plates on sticks.  Chirping merrily away to each other as I sat silently watching.  Their unmistakable song. I feel so sad today for the birds.  My friend said it's the damage done to the Gulf Stream by the spill... I hate it when animals get hurt.. my sister was a BIG animal person..


2 comments:

  1. I've heard that it ended up 5,000. I hadn't heard that about the oil spill. The last I heard a few days ago was the fireworks that startled them from their roosts New Year's Eve, and they don't fly at night, so they hit things very hard and were killed. I don't know if we'll ever know for sure.

    I was stunned by the Rilke reading today at the Rilke blog, and how it connected with this for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know it was another 'coincidence' so awful. I'm off to a pink fluff world fast!

    ReplyDelete